Monday, November 11, 2013

Bring On Monday. Please.

Highlights of my weekend:

Had a migraine on Saturday afternoon. Enough said.

Pulled a cat turd off Fletcher's butt that was stuck in his fur. DON'T LIKE READING ABOUT IT? IMAGINE HAVING TO PULL IT OFF!

Made beef stroganoff for the college boy. Seemingly used every pot, pan and utensil in the kitchen, then had to wash them all, dozens and dozens of them. DOZENS, I tell you.

Also seems I have a bit of a habit of using the wrong size pot, pan, bowl, etc. And by wrong sized, I don't mean too big. I may underestimate volumes just a wee little bit. Might account for the dozens and dozens of dirty dishes I had to wash.

Baby Ruby has been given run of the house during the day, and she immediately put the big boys' catfood on her radar, which is not agreeing with her kitten tummy. Some not-very-pretty things ensued.

Why won't Sarah Palin just go away?

As I vacuumed the rugs in my room, the vacuum cleaner started smelling like it was about to burst into flame, so I had to turn it off, unplug it, and perform exploratory surgery. Diagnosis was what appeared to be about five pounds of long hair wrapped around both the beater bar and the motor pulley (that's the roller brushy thingy and the little posty thingy that the drive belt loops around, for those of you who don't want to Google it).

Killed 137 wasps in the living room. Or maybe it was more like 5, but it SEEMS like more when you're chasing one around with the fly swatter, trying to smack it before the kitten climbs the curtains to get it. Did I mention I had a migraine?

Went to Aldi to get groceries (along with about half of the town - why did I wait until Saturday afternoon to get groceries?) and their debit card machine wasn't working, which meant I was able to buy $17 worth of groceries, because that's all the cash I had, and thus limiting me to essentials necessary for beef stroganoff: noodles, broth, sour cream, mushrooms, roasted red pepper hummus (that last one might have been just a little something for the chef...). And before you ask, I already had beef in the freezer.

There is civil unrest in my house over the naming of Ruby. I say the one who scoops the litter box, feeds and waters them, cleans up the kitty barf, and PICKS POOP OFF THE KITTY BUTTS gets the final say in the naming of the cat. End of story. 



Sorry to see the weekend over so soon? Not. Me. Bring on Monday.

20 comments:

  1. I LOVE Ruby, how cute! Lily suggested Tiger, like the kitty in her book ;-) Poor you, I'm sure migraine sucks, especially while cooking, cleaning, and going to Aldi! It's so funny that they have that store in the U.S. as well.. We had one in Manhattan, KS, and it took us over a year to find out..

    Hope you have a better week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were in Manhattan? For K-State or Ft. Riley? I do love Aldi! I spend half as much on groceries there as I did at Walmart. (We don't have a lot of options here, as the other choices are either a rather expensive and poorly named Price Cutter and two other discount grocers with questionable merchandise. We had a Dillons/Kroger, but it blew away in the tornado and has never been rebuilt.).

      Delete
  2. Yep, after doing that lot, I'd say you definitely earned the right to name the kitty. Hope your migraine clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwww hope your week looks up (how can it not?) and life returns to normal in your house for a bit.

    How come the cook in your house also does the washing up? Unfair division of labour right there!

    Aldi is the cousin to Lidl, which is where we shop. It's AMAZING. Lovely German Christmas goodies and everything SO cheap, and also really straightforward because there's only one 'type' of everything, so I don't stand there for ages comparing the relative merits of 13 different brands of chopped tomatoes (and then repeat exercise for every other item on the list)

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The migraine has gotten me terribly behind in reading blog posts. Hate them!

      You are correct; I need to work on that division of labor around here!

      I have only found a few items at Aldi that I'm not crazy about. Otherwise, everything is tasty and well-priced.

      Delete
  4. That kitten is the cutest thing on the internet. I totally agree that you have naming rights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that you asked but you totally get naming rights...picking kitty poop off kitty butts trumps ANYTHING else they could say.

    You can tell them I said that... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of my family would let that poor cat trail a cat turd around behind him into infinity before they picked it off. And I shall tell them that you said I got naming rights, end of story.

      Delete
  6. The person who picks kitty poop off cat butts gets whatever they want forever. Except in my house where I am completely spoiled by the person who picks the kitty poop off the cat butts. But life here is sort of askance.

    Ruby is adorable - kitty AND name. Migraines suck - period. Making stroganoff for the college boy is awesome. I almost made that this weekend but went for Swedish meatballs instead - Kidzilla's favorite and she puts away about as much as a college boy when I make that. Gotta love her.

    Please tell me how you went after a wasp? I would pack a bag, leave the house, and live with my Mother until wasps were removed by the kitty poop picker/wasp killer in the house. Gah! Hate those things. I have an unholy fear of anything with more legs than a dog.

    Sometimes Monday is the respite...hope your week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the poop picker, barf cleaner, box scooper. Be jealous.

      I've never made Swedish meatballs, but they always make me think of Ikea.

      Our house is nearly 90 years old, and the wasps come in in the fall as the weather turns cold. Don't know exactly how they slip in, but they do (seems to be they squeeze in around the windows, which are very old). My favorite thing to do is hit a wasp mid-air with the fly swatter, kind of like a weird game of baseball.

      Delete
  7. I will be making my first-ever trip to Aldi's this week, and I'm thinking I better stop at the ATM first.
    I seem to have a similar problem with pan size. Why, oh why, don't we just automatically reach for the bigger one? Beef stroganoff sounds delicious. I'm going to have to put that in the rotation of meals around here. I don't care that the kids don't like mushrooms (which is completely dumb. Like mushrooms have some overpowering, awful taste. And they've never even given the poor mushroom a chance by actually eating one.) I love them.
    Sorry, back to you. I'm sorry you had such a sucky weekend. Hope this week is shaping up nicely for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I WISH I could go with you! I went with a friend the first time, because I didn't understand how to shop there. Now I do! The debit card machine not working was a fluke, and they did have a sign on the door, warning everyone.

      I have a delicious recipe for beef stroganoff that I got from America's Test Kitchen. It is divine! I always double it, because college boy can eat that much of it. And he doesn't even like pasta!

      Delete
  8. What the hell is Aldi's and why don't we have them here in the Dallas area?? I'm jealous.

    Migraines suck giant cat turds. And I've picked a lot of turds out of cat butt hair. Trust me. Maybe millions. I hope you're feeling better.

    It's so sweet that you destroyed your kitchen to make your son food. All my meal decisions are based on the "how much work will this be?" criteria, and that includes clean up. This means a lot of microwave nuggets and canned soup. I suck, I know. That's why take out rocks.

    I WANT THAT KITTY.......RIGHT NOW....IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK REAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You DO have them in Dallas. It's a grocery store that carries only its own brand of stuff. It's a lot cheaper than regular grocery stores for food that tastes the same or better (with a very few exceptions). https://www.aldi.us/en/new-to-aldi/shopping-at-aldi/

      Migraine gone. It wasn't a really bad one, as migraines go, as it was caused by the sun reflecting off a car and hitting me in the eye just right (or just wrong). Ones that occur spontaneously are worse.

      I discard a lot of recipes before I get through reading the ingredients, because I don't like to do complicated. If I were to correctly anticipate how big a pan or bowl I need BEFORE I start cooking, I'd save myself a lot of cleanup.

      SHE'S SO PRECIOUS! Come visit and you can take a turn being a tree and having her climb up your leg....

      Delete
  9. What's with everyone getting such cute kittens?? I don't even like cats, but now you got me thinking maybe that could change...Except for the turd-pulling part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one of my cats is dumb enough to get turds stuck to his butt fur. So far, anyway.

      Delete
  10. My cat's name is Ruby, too! She was our second cat and the first one is named Onyx, so I stuck with the theme. Future cats will be: Topaz, Pearl, Diamond, Turquoise etc.

    I have the same rule with naming children. When you grow it, birth it, feed it every 2 hours and forget what it's like to sleep for 8 uninterupted hours, you can name it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There! I KNEW Ruby was a perfect name! Would you name one of your cats Lapis Lazuli?

      Good rule for naming children. Stupid me, I let me husband have a say in it.

      Delete