Saturday, May 28, 2016

No, I Didn't Buy The Coloring Book And Other Thankfuls

Welcome to the weekend and Ten Things of Thankful! You'd be AMAZED at what a person can find to be thankful for, if they try hard enough. Like these:

It was my first full week of summer vacation. I did nothing productive, but I had good intentions, so there's that.

Our Ten Things of Thankful creator was not only visiting 'Murica this past week, she was only a little over three hours' drive away from me, so drive I did, and Lizzi and I had a lovely pic-a-nic and long visit and it was very, very nice.

My trip home from Oklahoma City was not so great, and you can read about it here, but I SURVIVED and that's what's important, right?

My daughter has gotten her bedroom about 65% cleaned up, which is about 75% more than she's gotten done in the past three years.

Rain and rain and rain and rain, but no further severe weather (after the Oklahoma fiasco) other than thunder and lightning, and I'm fine with that.

We went to the lake house on Wednesday, so I could give it a good cleaning before the weekend. I brought my awesome Shark Navigator vacuum cleaner, and it ate a piece of carpet that my dad has lying in front of the fireplace. Fortunately, it's just some scrap carpeting that he keeps there as a hearth rug, so whew!


Pete packed himself.

On Thursday, Emma and I picked up the College Boy, and the three of us drove up to Columbia so my son could attend a workshop about the medical school application process on Friday. We are VERY thankful that my brother and sister in law live there and let us stay there whenever we need to, even though they were leaving on Friday to go - where? - to the lake house to spend the weekend with us and my parents.

After we got to Columbia, like several hours after we got there, the College Boy realized he forgot the bag with his underwear, undershirts, tennis shoes and extra clothes in it, leaving him with the clothes he was wearing, the dress clothes options he brought to wear to his workshop (where he brought no less than eight ties to choose from). Thankful that Walmart is open 24 hours and that my brother took him there to get the necessities he needed for the next day. I'm sure everyone at the workshop is thankful for the fresh underpants as well.

Emma and I spent the day bumming around Columbia, mostly in the shops downtown. One of the places we went in was a book store that was nothing short of interesting. I snapped this picture of one of the many items offered for sale there, and I'll just put it right here and walk away....

My husband said your tan crayon
would wear out rather rapidly

It's the weekend now, and we are all at the lake house together and life is good.



Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts


22 comments:

  1. I was gonna say, coloring books are fun, but I have the one good for children and adults. :)

    Hurray on a your teen's getting some cleaning done. My daughter cleans sporadically and I celebrate in my head when she does. Have a good week.http://www.36hourworkweek.com/2016/05/headstand.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was some coloring book! I don't really consider myself a prude, but I was pretty shocked when I opened the cover!
      Let's not forget that she didn't FINISH her room. If I say anything, though, she'll put on the brakes and all progress will stop completely.

      Delete
  2. Im still relieved your okay after OK !!!(HA no pun intended really!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're right life is good... enjoy!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coloring books are a lot of fun, but I think you would need an artists set of pencil crayons with the full range of flesh tones for that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was my husband's first thought, too. I'm kind of sorry I didn't buy it as a conversation piece.

      Delete
  5. I remember you mentioning before that your son wanted to go to med school. Where is he in the process? Getting in to a med school seems to be half the battle. My son is on a wait list for this year; if he doesn't get in, he'll start applying again for next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just finished junior year and took the MCAT three weeks ago. Getting ready to start with the apps in about a week.

      Delete
  6. Killing time in a bookstore, time with family at the lake, and meeting up with Lizzi all sounds lovely. Glad you made it back through that weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bookstore was something else. It calls itself an alternative bookstore, a non-profit selling progressive literature, such as feminist, LGBT, personal growth, spirituality, sexuality, etc. (hence, the coloring book). It was great to spend time with both family AND Lizzi this week!

      Delete
  7. Hurray! Summer vacation! Who wants to be productive on the first week of Summer Vacation!
    Wow. So one day it will be Dr. College Boy. Cool. And very convenient lol
    Hey, Pete's no fool. Got the side pocket open for snicky snacks, carrying case matches his "outfit". It's all good :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a list. I plan to be productive in another week or so :)
      Fingers crossed on the Dr thing. First step is a good mcat score.
      Pete may not have many brain cells to work with, but he does love a good road trip.

      Delete
  8. I am laughing at the bedroom part....because there is an unidentified smell in my son's room and I haven't seen the floor since 2015. I refuse to clean it though. Summer break for us isn't until the end of June so that's his big clean start. Maybe we will discover what's died in there.
    That colouring book is ummmmm...I mean...you'd get a lot of wrist action with that book. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Emma's floor in a couple of years, no lie! Her usual M.O. is to pick up all the clothes, including clean and folded ones, in laundry baskets and take them down to the washer. I'm onto her....
      I'm sort of kicking myself that I didn't buy the coloring book.
      Wrist action. Tee hee!

      Delete
  9. (damn my clarklike tendency to try to infer from fragments!!)... I'm still stuck at 'the coloring book' photo and what that word (TiTle) under the teaser line on the cover of the book beneath... 'Sexual Secrets'....
    lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The uncropped photo says "Sexual Secrets Every Couple Should Know: The Multi-Orgasmic Couple". And that was one of the tamer titles.

      Delete
  10. Oh good GRIEF! I refuse to accept that it's necessary for a colouring book like that to even EXIST! That said, I'm sure they run a profit from it, so I guess that's why...

    It was AWESOME to see you, my Dyannedillion, and I'm still SUPER thankful you didn't get hit by the tornado. I hope you've been having a lovely weekend at the lake house with all your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty quirky little store. See my comment to Kerry, above.

      It was great to see you, even if it was a short visit. But you living in OKC will mean we will get to see each other more often! You as an Okie really cracks me up!

      It was a nice, long weekend, and yes, yes, yes, I am glad to have dodged that tornado! Yikes! I can laugh about it now, but at the time, not at all!

      Delete
  11. There's nothing better than spending the weekend at a lake. Hope you had a great time with your family.

    @WeekendsinMaine
    Weekends in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok so I do NOT get the whole adult coloring book craze but one about sex positions? Now that could be fun! Ahhh to lake time and Lizzi time.

    ReplyDelete