Sunday, May 15, 2016

Thank You! Thank You!

I swear this is going to be my last week being a slacker on the Ten Things of Thankful.

I am by no means over the loss of my darling Ruby, but it is getting a little easier every day. I hardly ever expect her to come down the stairs to greet me at the door anymore, but I still think I see her slipping around corners just ahead of me when I'm walking through the house.

This past week, thanks to the sweet gesture my high school friend Ruth made, I declared Wednesday, May 11, as For Love Of Ruby day and asked anyone who was led to make a food donation to their local animal shelter, and I am humbled by the response. It truly went from California to the New York island and beyond!

Thank you to old friends Jamie (we've known each other since we were in Miss White's 2nd grade class together), Teresa (friends since birth), Nancy (friends since 7th grade), and my cousin Cynthia (we kind of go way back, too). Thank you to Joplin friends Vanessa and Linda and Ruth (how many people can be lucky enough to know TWO Ruths?!) for donating, and also to Allison and her three girls and to Debbie, Ruby's original "mom." And thank you far away friends IvyMarisaFabiolaKristi (and DeeDee!) and Lizzi for making donations, and of course, to sweet Ruth, who inspired this day of healing for me and made another touching donation.

The problem with listing people like this is the VERY REAL chance that I left someone off the list, so PLEASE let me know if you are one of those people! And if you haven't made a donation in memory of Ruby and would like to, it's never too late. There is no end to the needs of our local shelters.

That's way more than ten thankfuls. Way more. Thank you, all, for loving Ruby with me.

I can feel my heart healing....


21 comments:

  1. We loved donating to our shelter the kids were happy to participate with me....

    It definately won't be the last time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the picture you posted that morning! It was the first post I saw that day about For Love Of Ruby day :)

      Delete
  2. I don't know who else donated, but my daughter did spread the word on facebook and instagram (@acciosphynx), and I know she has a lot of cat friends! (I'm sure she's not looking for recognition; I just wanted you to know that this might have been bigger than you knew.) Also, when I took my donation in, a man outside asked for spare change, so not only did Ruby inspire feeding 4-leggers, a 2-legger got fed that day, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell her thank you from the bottom of my heart! Any animal helped by For Love Of Ruby day helps lessen the hurt of losing her. And look at you with your win/win!

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear your sadness is easing a little. Time...that is my only answer. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they never leave, we just got used to them being in our minds and not in the house

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending love. Your pay-it-forward tribute to Ruby will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I wish every homeless pet could have the life Ruby had, even as short as it was.

      Delete
  6. I love that you did that for Ruby! And I'm glad it's getting a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I only cry about once a day now, so it's an improvement.

      Delete
  7. I may not be in the same country as you and I couldn't make the 11th because of work, but yesterday (Sunday) in memory of Ruby I took a food donation to my own local animal shelter.

    I'm glad your heart is slowly healing. That's a lovely photo of Ruby, and a lovely way to remember her too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I am so pleased that you joined in For Love Of Ruby! You have no idea how good it makes me feel to have so many people (and so far away!) who have been willing to help homeless pets in Ruby's name! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I have not forgotten the Ruby donation - our week just turned into one big run of craziness last week. We're going after school today to get our donation. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwwh lovely Ruby. I love that she inspired such wonderful GOOD to happen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Lizzi, although I'd rather have her here on my lap while I try to write.

      Delete
  10. At least you make it to the link-up. It closed on me. :(
    http://www.36hourworkweek.com/2016/05/sweet.html

    ReplyDelete